I’m really excited that I get to update you all on life in South
Africa! Things here are definitely
different than life in America, but they also share many interesting
similarities. I think one of the biggest
adjustments for myself has been the South African concept of time. For instance, if a South African says that
they will be there, “now now” they mean that they will be there in 10-15
minutes, and if they say they will be there “just now” it could mean that they
will be there in an hour. It’s definitely
been a challenge to adjust to that
difference. I would say that for myself,
the food has not been very difficult to adjust to. There are a lot of differences but I have not
really had anything so far that has been difficult to eat, because it tastes
pretty good! One of the foods that we
have seen over and over again has been “pap” which is a thick cornmeal that you
eat with your fingers.
As a driver (this is Katlyn) I would say it has for sure been a
challenge to adjust to the roads here.
Not only are we driving on the side of the road that we are not used to,
but the traffic signs and roads are really difficult to get used to. You will frequently have two or three lane
roads turn into a one lane road without any warning, and all the cars will try
to quickly merge. It is definitely
getting better and I believe by the end of our time here our drivers will be
really used to it, but it is definitely different than driving in the United
States.
-Katlyn
Yoder
Fences run into fences. Walls block civilians from viewing
residences and businesses beyond the gated barriers. On top of these fences and
walls spikes and/or electric wire become the common accessory for most of the
homes in Johannesburg. A security sign warns a wandering passerby that an alarm
system is in place. If these sytems are breached ferocious dogs bark their
final warning. These images and sounds replace the memories of green lawns
meshing into neighbors verdant grass at home in the states. The lawns at home communicate
a sense of trust and community. Here faith in the neighbor seems is severed
similar to the barbwire that separates neighbor from neighbor.
The residents of Johannesburg who live
behind these walls of Johannesburg are gated from freedom. Their eyes
communicate their bondage behind bars. We can see their hunger for fulfillment
as homeless people beg for food and money outside of our car windows every day
when we drive to the campus of Witwatersrand. Then, from behind their books and
exams the students at Wits yearn for life. I see God has sent us as a team to “…proclaim liberty to the captives, and
opening of the prison to those who are bound.” (Isaiah 61:1)
Each day we leave Sunbury bed and breakfast to
go to campus we open a 20 foot steel door that protects us from the outside
world. We travel in three’s wherever we go. We have a guy with us at all times.
I am learning
these boundaries are for our protection and freedom just as God’s law is for
our protection and freedom. Having boundaries has actually compelled us to live
as a deeper community. I learn that the dependence and trust I put in my
brothers and sisters is a smaller picture of how I need to be secondly
dependent on Christ. The way we serve each other by cooking meals, traveling
together, and cleaning for one another depicts a picture of Christ coming to
serve and not to be served. I am continually sanctified as I grow in community
with these men and women.
Thus, living in
Johannesburg has pushed me to cling to the law of the Lord. The more we are
slaves to his righteousness and obey his commandments, the more Christ lives in
us to bring us freedom. “Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom.” As
my pastor from college says, freedom lies not in “how far from God we can stray
but how close to Him we can stay.” Living here has shown me how close I need to
cling to Jesus. I need to desire to be in His presence, to remain behind His
shield, and under the shadow of His wings. In James 4:6 he says, that if we “draw near to
God He will draw near to us”. I pray that as a community we continue to draw
near to God, and slowly, person by person the inhabitants of Johannesburg will
be transformed into inheritors of the Kingdom.
-Rachael
Newmister
No comments:
Post a Comment